(born Marlina Burgess
, September 22, 1942, New Rochelle, New York, United States) is an American singer. Shaw began her singing career in the 1960s and is still singing today. Her music has often been sampled in hip hop music, and used in television commercials.Cadet
- Out of Different Bags (1967)
- The Spice of Life (1969)
- Marlena (1972)
- From the Depths of My Soul (1973)
- Marlena Shaw Live at Montreux (1973)
- Who Is This Bitch, Anyway? (1974)
- Just a Matter of Time (1976)
- Sweet Beginnings (1977)
- Acting Up (1978)
- Take A Bite (1979)
- Let Me In Your Life (1982)
- It Is Love (1986)
- Love Is In Flight (1988)
- Dangerous (1996)
- Elemental Soul (1997)
Soul Brother Records
- Anthology (2000)
- Live In Tokyo (2002)
- Lookin' For Love (2004)
- Blue Boy's "Remember Me" (1996) included sample from "Woman of the Ghetto" from the Live At Montreux album
- Ghostface Killah's song "Ghetto" (2010) contains samples of the recording "Woman of the Ghetto"
- St. Germain sampled from "Woman of the Ghetto" from Live at Montreux used in "Rose Rouge" on Tourist (2000)
- DJ Day "Gone Bad" Melting Pot Records (2005) included a sample from "Liberation Conversation" from the Spice of Life album
- DJ Shadow sampled her version of "California Soul" for "Midnight in a Perfect World" on Endtroducing, he also sampled the same song on his live Brainfreeze (album) set in collaboration with Cut Chemist. While DJ Premier also sampled the same song for the Gang Starr track "Check the Technique", and Adam Freeland sampled the track for "F.E.A.R." - this is more prominent on the version used as the soundtrack to 'Area 05' in the 2001 videogame REZ. Faze Action's track "Broad Souls" also used a sample from "California Soul". In addition, Syler's lead single off Syler presents The Empire State of Mind, entitled "Holden My Own" used the "California Soul" sample.
- 9th Wonder and Buckshot also sampled "Woman of the Ghetto" in the track "Ghetto", and Evil Dee (of Black Moon)'s remix of the same song.
- Spanish hip-hop group Violadores del Verso uses a sample from "Woman of the Ghetto" for the base of their song "Balantains"
- Goldfish sampled "Woman of the Ghetto" for their 2013 single "Three Second Memory".
- Dutch beer brand Grolsch used a sample of "California Soul" for a Dutch television commercial.
- Jay Rock feat. The Game "California Soul" (2007) rap song sampled "California Soul".
- "Squire for Hire" Nathan Haines (Chillifunk records 2003) featured Marlena Shaw vocals on the title track "Squire for Hire".
- "California Soul" is played on the 2003 remake of The Italian Job. The song, however, does not appear on the movie's soundtrack.
- In 2008, "California Soul" is used in a Docker's commercial.
- Rapper Qwel sampled Marlena Shaw's song "You" on his song "The Highest Commitment" on the album If it Ain't Been in the Pawn Shop, it Can't Play the Blues.
- "California Soul" is featured on one of the radio stations in the 2013 best selling video game Grand Theft Auto V
- Producer Diplo remixed the track "California Soul" for the recent compilation The Verve Remixed Vol. 4.
- DJ Premier sampled 'California Soul' in the Gang Starr track 'Check the Technique' from Step in the Arena (1990)
- A "California Soul" remix featuring Ya Boy appeared over the end credits of The Lincoln Lawyer in 2011.
- "California Soul" (remixed by Diplo) is featured in 2011 action driving game Driver: San Francisco
- Canadian rapper Drake sampled Shaw's "Feel Like Making Love" for the song "Come Winter" from his mixtape "Room for Improvement"
- Lodus Dei sampled Shaw's "Say a Good Word" for their song "Royal Lotus" on The Wasted Talent album."
- The Wiseguys sampled "California Soul" in their song "The Sound Your Hear" on the album Executive Suite (1996).